I testify that there is no god except Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.
Welcome to my forum!
This is a very good question, thank you for asking that.uwot wrote:What knowledge and guidance does "God, the Almighty" give in regard to the fossil record?
God, the Almighty commands us in Islam to investigate and look for the evidence and use our intellect. In Islam we refer to God, the Almighty in Arabic as Allah, Al-Aziz. ‘Allah’ means ‘The God’ in Arabic and ‘Al-Aziz’ means ‘The Almighty’ or ‘The All-Powerful’. In the Holy Quran, Allah, The Almighty says, interpretation of meaning:
- O you who have believed, if there comes to you a disobedient one with information, investigate, lest you harm a people out of ignorance and become, over what you have done, regretful. [Holy Quran 49:6]
- Indeed, the worst of living creatures in the sight of Allah are the deaf and dumb who do not use reason. [Holy Quran 8:22]
Assistant Professor David Bickford from the Department of Biological Sciences at the NUS Faculty of Science, doing research on the effects of climate change on species said:
- "We have summarised the data and provided a review of what has been shown to be occurring over the past few decades, as well as similar trends from fossil record that also demonstrate a cohesive trend. We have also provided the theories that explain the data, a set of reasonable ecological and metabolic rules that help explain why we see this repeat trend of species getting smaller. Many studies are corroborating this general trend, and as more studies come out saying the same thing, we need to understand why this trend is happening and what it will mean for society."
The fossil record is quite unambiguous about that. The size of animal and plants have been decreasing gradually with the passage of time; from gigantic creatures of the past to the size we are accustomed to nowadays. Some of these giant animals have even become extinct as another research program concluded:
- "Since the late Pleistocene, large-bodied mammals have been extirpated from much of Earth. Although all habitable continents once harbored giant mammals, the few remaining species are largely confined to Africa. This decline is coincident with the global expansion of hominins over the late Quaternary. Here, we quantify mammalian extinction selectivity, continental body size distributions, and taxonomic diversity over five time periods spanning the past 125,000 years and stretching approximately 200 years into the future. We demonstrate that size-selective extinction was already under way in the oldest interval and occurred on all continents, within all trophic modes, and across all time intervals."
This is what the fossil record can be interpreted to be showing from a scientific point of view. On the other hand, the fossil record does not show that one species has ever become another. As Dr Micheal Denton said:
- “IN Evolution: A Theory in Crisis (Evolution), published in 1985, I argued that the biological realm is fundamentally discontinuous. The major taxa-defining innovations in the history of life have not been derived from ancestral forms by functional intermediates.”
After investigating and analyzing the evidence from the fossil records, I logically came to the conclusion that life on earth took gigantic proportions in the past, and since then it has gradually been getting smaller down to the size in our current time. And this is confirmation by the scientific community of the Islamic account of the origin of species. Because Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) is reported to have said:
- Abu Huraira narrated that the Prophet Muhammad(peace and blessings of Allah by upon him) said:
"Allah created Adam, making him was 60 cubits tall. When He created him, He said to him, "Go and greet that group of angels and listen to their reply, for it will be your greeting (salutation) and the greeting of your offspring." So, Adam said (to the angels), "As-Salamu 'Alaykum (Peace be upon you)." The angels said, "As-Salaamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatu-l-lahi (Peace and Allah's mercy be upon you)." Thus the angels added to Adam's salutation the expression "Wa Rahmatu-l-lahi." Any person who will enter Paradise will resemble Adam (in appearance and figure). People have been decreasing in stature since Adam's creation." (Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 3326)
Now from a scientific perspective, this is where the fossil records provide empirical corroborating evidence for these claims as already shown and attested by the evolutionists themselves!! Indeed, there is an abundance of such! Giants’ fossil remains of people and animal, and artifacts are found in many places all around the world.
Let us now proceed to a theoretical comparison with the available evidence from the fossil record itself and take as example the fossils of the dinosaurs. Let us take the Tyrannosaurus Rex as example.
- The best-known and largest member of the group is Tyrannosaurus rex, or T. rex. The “king of the tyrant lizards,” as its Latin name is usually translated, walked on powerfully developed hind limbs. If the animal had stood upright, it would have been more than 6.5 metres (21 feet) tall, but the usual posture was horizontal, with the body carried parallel to the ground and the tail held off the ground as a counterbalance. In this position a large adult, weighing 4,000 to 7,000 kg (about 9,000 to 15,000 pounds), could measure 14 metres long.
The Tyrannosaurus rex was according to Britannica at around 6.5 meters tall and 14 meters in length, and our father Prophet Adam (pbuh) was about four times higher than the T rex and twice its length as well. This is more or less about the same proportion we nowadays have with some reptiles such as the dwarf crocodile in Africa for example. And there are lots and lots of examples like this from the fossil record.
There are also many fossil of giant human beings which have been found and reported by reputed newspapers and trustworthy sources since the 17-18th century all over the world. For example, rather recently in 1959, it has been confirmed by the experts in anatomic science that a fossil of a 7 meter giant human being has been excavated by archaeologist and Christian priest Carlos Vaca in Ecuador.
Below is a Spanish documentary on the archaeological findings of Carlos Vaca where the fossils in his possession are shown and confirmed by the experts in the field of archaeology and human anatomy namely Dr Erasmo Alejandro and Dr Carlos Barco respectively.
In paleontology, the experts in that field together with experts in other fields such as for example human anatomy can reconstruct the frame of a species according to the corresponding fossils that were found. For example this happened with many dinosaur fossils and also hominid/hominin fossils such as Lucy (Australopithecus) and many others. Similarly, the frame of the 7 meter giant were reconstructed by the experts in this field and were once displayed in a museum in Switzerland. Here is a picture of the reconstruction of the 7 meter giant human being.